“Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out if they’ve got a second. Give your dreams all you’ve got and you’ll be amazed at the energy that comes out of you.” – William James (1842-1910, Philosopher and Author)
Fear is often disguised fatigue, and fatigue often masquerades as the reason we can’t push on, much less keep on keeping on in pursuit of our dreams, goals, and true life passions.
At the heart of fear is a “story” – one that we have created and reinforced with our own internal dialogue. Further, as most of us prefer to be ‘right’ most all of the time, we look for things to validate our beliefs around fear and therefore further reinforce that story.
My experience personally, with world class executives, and in interviews I have done with well known athletes and business leaders reinforces to me that there is a formula for success in life.
* be absolutely clear on your objective
* know how to measure success as you proceed on a path to attainment
* know why you want it
* surround yourself with people who have blazed their own successful trails
* take massive action – the figuring out of “how to do it” will come from “failing forward”
* assess progress, adjust actions steps, push on
* rest, restore, recreate, and repeat the above steps
Slay the fear dragon first thing in the morning:
* practice gratitude – identify 3 things you are most thankful for
* be intentional about your thoughts
* define your own highest leverage activities for the day
* read inspirational and informative literature
* eat a healthy breakfast
* watch your words as they paint pictures for yourself and others
* do the most difficult and/or most important item on your action list first
Finally, set yourself up to win and have fun. When we are winning, active, and having fun, fear seems to not exist. And, as time allows, model those in your life and those you admire.
Success leaves clues and, since everyone has fear, observation is a fantastic way to reinforce the actions that will give you a second, third, and fourth wind in pursuit of living life powerfully.
James K. McPartland, also known as ‘Mac’, is the owner and Chief Inspiration Officer of the JMac Performance Group, a specialized management and consulting firm focused on realizing the importance of the human potential in business. He is an entrepreneur, author of Unopened Gifts: A Journey To Gratitude, international speaker, TV/radio host, and noted authority on leadership, team building, corporate wellness, and transformational change.